|BUS ROUTES||HOME EDUCATION||SCHOOL NUTRITION||WORK PERMITS|
|CALENDARS||POWER SCHOOL||SCHOOL SAFETY|
The underlying mission of the district was, and always has been, to provide all students with the best possible education to enable them to experience the joy of reaching their full potential. A collaborative approach to educating the whole child is at the forefront of this undertaking. We strive to ensure that each student:
- comes to school healthy and learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle;
- learns in an intellectually challenging environment that is physically and emotionally safe;
- is actively engaged in learning and is connected to the school and broader community;
- has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualiﬁed, caring adults; and is challenged academically and prepared for success in college or further study and for employment in a global environment.
By providing our graduates with the necessary knowledge, skills and expertise, we commit to preparing them to thrive in this global 21st century economy. Among the essential skills for success are critical thinking and problem-solving, creativity and innovation, and communication and collaboration. Further, we promote an understanding of academic content at a much higher level by weaving global awareness, financial, economic, business and entrepreneurial literacy, and civic, health and environmental literacy into core subjects.
A high-quality education is the fundamental right of every child. All children will receive the respect, encouragement, and opportunities they need to build the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to be successful, contributing members of a global society.
Centrality of the Classroom
All of the instructional efforts in the classroom are aligned to support the relationship between students and teachers, because the classroom experience is the core of education. By embracing this principle, we will ensure that students receive an effective, balanced and comprehensive education.
When we establish high expectations for students and provide the support necessary to achieve these expectations, high academic, social and personal success will follow. It is these expectations that provide the challenge and the inspiration required to motivate a student to his or her highest level of performance.
Educational equity for students is a shared priority and a shared responsibility of the WSPS, parents and the larger school community. Through our inclusive, cooperative efforts, we will create conditions for their full and equal participation, opportunity, and benefit in society, thus maximizing students’ success and closing the achievement gap.
Academic integrity in the West Springfield Public Schools embodies a commitment to honesty, trust, fairness, respect and responsibility. In order for students to achieve their maximum academic potential, we will promote an environment that fosters integrity and honorable conduct, thus providing sound preparation for success and future opportunities.
Collaborative Problem Solving
We will create an environment that supports collaborative problem solving at all levels and across all disciplines. Quality learning experiences and collaborative problem solving support academic achievement thus enabling students to build on success as they pursue goals.
- Align curriculum and instruction to the new Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks to improve college and career readiness for all students
- Foster “knowledge-driven” schools where teachers and administrators collaboratively analyze data to improve instruction on an ongoing basis
- Promote 21st century collaboration, communication, and problem solving skills between and among parents, administrators, teachers, and students