Interested in enrolling your child into the West Springfield Early Childhood Center?
Age Range and Eligibility
Children must reside within the West Springfield Public School district to attend Coburn Early Childhood. Our classrooms are integrated with peer partners and children with special needs. Peer partners must be 3 years old by September 1, and toilet trained, to be considered. Priority is given to children age 4+ and eligible to attend kindergarten the following year. Once all available slots are full, remaining applicants will be placed on a wait list and contacted as space becomes available. All peer partners enrolled in the program are required to participate in a developmental screening. Children with identified disabilities are eligible for placement at 3 years of age if recommended by the Special Education Evaluation TEAM.
Step 1: Application
If you would like your child to be considered for a peer partner slot in our half-day program, please complete the Preschool Application below. Applications will not be accepted during the summer break as our office will be closed. We will reopen applications in the fall if seats are available.
*Please DO NOT complete an application if you have been referred by Early Intervention or are requesting for your child to be evaluated for Special Services. Please contact the evaluation team leader at email@example.com for next steps.
Step 2: Acceptance Into the Program
Once your child has been accepted as a peer partner, an acceptance letter will be mailed to the home to notify the family. We have rolling admissions into the program for peer partners and prioritize admissions based on age. Priority is given to children age 4 attending kindergarten the following year.
Step 3: Register
Once your child has been accepted into the West Springfield Early Childhood program, families will receive a letter with a registration code. Families will need to complete enrollment for their child using this code through the online reigstration portal.
If you do not have access to a computer or mobile device, you can register in-person at the Central Enrollment Office at 11 Central Street in West Springfield. Please call the Central Enrollment Clerk at (413) 263-3388 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. You will need the following documents; some if applicable:
- Student's Birth Certificate, Passport, or I-94 Card
- If the student had a name change, please include the 'Change of Name Decree' from the court
- Child must be age 3 or 4 by September 1st to attend
- Proof of Residency
- Copy of Deed, Recent Mortgage Statement, SIGNED Lease/Rental Agreement, or Section 8 Agreement, DCF Placement Letter. *If you recently purchased a home, please upload the Purchase & Sales Agreement SIGNED by all parties
- Proof of Occupency
- Utility Bill - within the last 30 days, Home/Rental Insurance Statement, or Property/Excise Tax. *If you recently purchased a home and do not have a most recent utility bill, our office will do a follow up within the next 30 business days to acquire a bill
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Proof of Identity
- Parent/Guardian's Government Issued ID, Driver's License, Passport, or I-94 Card
- Physical Exam or Proof of an Upcoming Appointment
- Exam must be within the last 12 months - SIGNED by Physician; students enrolling into PreK or Garde K must show a lead screening on their physical exam
- Immunization Records
- Custodial Agreement(s)
- Caregiver Authorization Affidavit, Court Order, Notice to LEA
- Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- IEP must be signed; an IEP Progress Report is not acceptable
- 504 Accomodation Plan
Step 4: Open House - September 2nd
All accepted Early Childhood students and families are invited to attend an Open House Friday, September 2nd, 2022 in-person at Coburn School at 115 Southworth Street (the new location for the West Springfield Early Childhood Center). You will be notified of the times.
Students and families are invited to walk through the building to tour the classrooms, and meet with the principal and school staff. This is a great opportunity to learn more about West Springfield Early Childhood Center.
For more questions, please call WS Early Childhood Center at (413) 263-3326
Step 5: Back to School Mailing
Look out for your Back to School Mailing, which includes class placement as well as key information for the start of school and activities your preschooler can do to get ready!
Step 6: First Day of School! Tuesday, September 6th
Drop your student off at our side entrance and give them a hug and kiss goodbye! We will take good care of your child when they arrive!